Spanakopita Pie. Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie). this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. The pie will be crisp and golden brown. This will allow the filling to set.
Assemble spanakopita: Place a tablespoon of spinach mixture on the corner nearest you on one strip of phyllo. Fold corner over mixture to make a triangle, then continue folding (like a flag) until phyllo. Spanakopita, or a Greek Spinach Pie, is one of their most famous creations. You can cook Spanakopita Pie using 12 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spanakopita Pie
- You need 8 oz of phyllo dough, defrosted (my package of phyllo dough contains 2 rolls of 8 oz each).
- You need 3 of large bunches of fresh spinach.
- Prepare 2 of large leeks.
- You need 1 of red onion.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic.
- You need 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh oregano leaves.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh dill.
- Prepare 1 of bay leaf.
- It’s 8 oz of feta cheese.
- It’s 4 of eggs.
- You need 1/2 stick of butter + 1 stick.
- Prepare of Salt and white pepper.
Flaky and crispy phyllo dough layers and a creamy spinach & feta filling. Spanakopita is a traditional Greek savory pie wrapped in flaky layers of crisp phyllo and filled with For a twist on the classic, this version of traditional Greek spanakopita uses an assortment of greens. Spanakopita can also be made with other greens, such as dandelion or chard, in place of spinach. Thaw the spinach overnight or in a colander.
Spanakopita Pie instructions
- Chop the allium – finely chop the garlic, cut the red onion in half and then into thin half moons. Chop off the the green portion of the leek, cut the rest into thin spirals and wash very well, pushing aside the spiral layers into individual rounds as you wash. Leeks are very gritty so spend time on this or you will regret it when you eat the finished dish..
- Melt half a stick of the butter in a deep pan over low heat and add the allium trio as is it melting. Stir from time to time as you prepare the rest of the dish..
- Since spinach is also very gritty, make sure that you cut of the stems and wash the leaves exceedingly well. Allow to drain and the tip onto a clean dish towel to dry well or spin in your salad dryer..
- Add the chopped herbs and the bay leaf to the allium mixture and stir to combine. Then add the spinach, a large handful at a time, and – as soon as it wilts – add another. Stir to combine and cook all of these ingredients until softened, stirring from time to time. Transfer from the pot to a large bowl, squeezing out and leaving behind, as much liquid as you can. Set aside in the fridge to cool..
- Once the filling is cool, press with the back of a large spoon to see if you can remove any more liquid. Remove the bay leaf. Mix in the eggs and stir very well to combine. Crumble in the feta and stir lightly to combine without turning the feta to paste. Add salt and white pepper to taste, taking into account that the feta is salty..
- When ready to assemble, melt the remaining stick of butter. Yes, it is a lot. Well, you don't eat this every day. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring form pan well with some of the melted butter..
- Preheat the oven to 350..
- Open the package of phyllo dough and unwrap. Randomly add layers of several sheets of the dough; allow all of the over flow to hang over the edges. Brush each layer with melted butter before you add the next. Once you have added the final piece of phyllo to the pan, tip in the filling and fold the phyllo dough overhang over the top. With your hands, push the layers on top into waves and whirls and then brush the top well with the remaining butter..
- Bake for one hour and allow to cool to room temperature in the ring before serving. After an hour open the ring and, voilà, crispy buttery goodness..
Spanakopita is a popular Greek spinach and feta pie that makes a great vegetarian meal option. I use my spinach and feta pie filling to make my small appetizer-sized spinach pies. Spanakopita is a Greek savory spinach pie, typically made with feta cheese. It may be called spanakotiropita 'spinach-cheese-pie' to emphasize the presence of cheese. Greek Spinach Pies (Spanakopita). featured in Savory Pies.