Natchitoches Meat Pies.
You can cook Natchitoches Meat Pies using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Natchitoches Meat Pies
- You need 3 lbs of ground chuck.
- Prepare 1.5 lbs of ground pork.
- Prepare 1 cup of finely diced yellow onion.
- It’s 5 of green onions, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of green bell pepper, finely chopped.
- It’s to taste of Salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Prepare of Crust.
- It’s 8 cups of flour.
- It’s 1 of cup, plus 3 Tablespoons shortening.
- It’s 2 t of baking powder.
- It’s 2 t of salt.
- It’s 2 cups of milk.
- Prepare 4 of beaten eggs.
Natchitoches Meat Pies instructions
- In a large pan, place ground chuck, ground pork, onions, and seasonings. Cook until browned and then drain. Set aside..
- Mix dry ingredients for crust..
- Cut in shortening. Mix in milk and eggs..
- Put some flour down on a flat surface and roll out the dough. You don’t want it to be too thick or thin. Too thin and it will tear while folding the pies over. Too thick and there will be too much crust to filling ratio. Work with it and you’ll know when it’s right..
- Pick something circular and place it on the dough to trace around. I use one of my kid sized plates. It’s maybe 7-8” across. Now you’re ready to fill the crust circle with filling..
- Place meet filling in a crescent shape inside the crust circle. Careful not to get it around the edges or the oils will make it hard for edges to seal..
- Fold the crust circle over in half and crimp the edges closed with fork prongs..
- To cook, place on a greased baking sheet and coat the top in melted butter. Cook for 22-25 minutes at 350 degrees in the oven..