Meat pie. A great deep dish meat pie made with potatoes, carrots and peas in a rich gravy. Lamb chicken or pork can be used in place of beef. A great recipe for leftover meat!
Crimp around the edges using the tines of the fork, and remove any excess dough. Place the bottom crust in the pie plate and poke several holes in the crust with a fork. Make sure an ample amount of crust. You can have Meat pie using 16 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Meat pie
- You need of Dough.
- Prepare 7 cups of Flour.
- It’s 200 g of margarine.
- You need 1 pinch of salt.
- You need 3 tsp of baking powder.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- You need 1/2 cup of water(add 1tbsp if not enough).
- It’s of Filling.
- It’s 6 of Carrots.
- Prepare 7 of irish potatoes.
- Prepare 1 of medium size onions.
- It’s 2 cubes of seasoning(or more to ur taste).
- You need 1/2 of kilo minced meat.
- Prepare 2 of scotch bonnet.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of corn Flour.
- Prepare of Curry.
The pie came out tasting almost exactly like the ones we used to make! I added a pinch more salt and a little allspice to the recipe, also a teaspoon of poultry seasoning along with the sage that this recipe called for. I have saved this recipe and will continue the old tradition of meat pies for Thanksgiving and New Years Eve. Some time ago, when I was working at a newspaper, a co-worker happened to bring a meat pie for lunch.
Meat pie instructions
- Dice carrots, onions, scotch bonnet and potatoes.
- Sieve flour into a bowl, add baking powder, eggs, pinch of salt and water and mix till it form a dough. Cover and allow to rest..
- Rince minced meat and boil for some minutes(I add one cube seasoning and pinch of salt). I drain the meat after boiling.
- In a non stick pan, I pour in my diced ingredients, add some water and boil. I add the 2nd cube maggi to it and allow to boil for say 5mins. Then add the drained minced meat, some curry and allow to boil for some minutes.
- Add corn Flour when the water is almost dried to thicken the filling.
- Fetch some dough, roll out, place on meat pie cutter, add some filling and cut. Do this step till dough and filling is finished then put in oven and bake for 30-45 mins.
The aroma was familiar to me, and I asked for a taste. To my amazement, it was the same pie my grandmother used to serve when I was a youngster! I copied the meat pie recipe, and I have been enjoying it ever since. —Rita Winterberger, Huson, Montana French Meat Pie, also called Tourtiere, is a classic French-Canadian dish that combines potatoes, onions, and spices, all enveloped in a buttery pie crust. Tourtiere is often served at the holidays. Fill the crust with meat filling and top with remaining pie crust.