Dan Dan noodle (easy version). Dan Dan Noodles (担担面) is the new inclusion into the hot and numbing Sichuan dishes that I obsessed lately. Dan dan mian, or dan dan noodles, are one of Sichuan (sometimes spelled Szechuan) province's most famous culinary exports. Sichuan cuisine is defined by its heat, and our spicy Szechuan noodle recipe is no exception!
Try this spicy, numbing, satisfying Sichuan classic noodle dish at home! We must have tried no fewer than a dozen versions of this Dan Dan Noodles recipe. It's one of those dishes that's so widespread among Chinese noodle recipes, there are a lot of. You can cook Dan Dan noodle (easy version) using 20 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Dan Dan noodle (easy version)
- You need 1 lb of ground beef.
- You need 2 tbsp of oil (I used peanut).
- Prepare 1/2 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 4 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 piece (2 inch) of ginger, minced or grated.
- It’s 1 cup of chicken stock.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of rice wine vinegar.
- You need 1 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
- Prepare 1/2 lb of long noodles.
- Prepare of Spicy.
- You need 1 of each use only one of the spicy, these are some options, adjust to your liking.
- You need 2 tbsp of gochujang (Korean chilli paste).
- You need 3 tbsp of Sriracha sauce.
- You need 2 tbsp of chilli paste, like samba oelek.
- It’s of garnish.
- Prepare 1 of each green onion, sliced.
- You need 1/4 cup of roasted peanuts, chopped.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cilantro, fresh.
Originating from Chinese Sichuan cooking, Dandan noodles were named for the carrying pole (aka dan dan) that street vendors used to carry baskets of noodles and sauce. While sometimes served as a soup in China, American versions are usually more saucy than soupy, and often include sesame. Dan dan Noodles is such a classic dish that is really worth the effort to master. To make it easy to use, stir the sesame paste thoroughly in the jar to incorporate the oil with the paste.
Dan Dan noodle (easy version) step by step
- In a medium size pan or skillet, heat the oil, medium-high heat, and when hot add the ground beef and cook until done, chopping into smaller pieces as you cook it..
- Remove cooked beef to a bowl with paper towels..
- Reduce heat to medium, add chopped onion and cook, stirring a little, until translucent. Scrap up any of the beef bits left in the pan, into the onions as it cooks.
- Add the garlic and ginger, stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock (or water), soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and peanut butter..
- Add your spicy ingredient of choice, but only one, I just listed a variety so you knew it wasn't all that difficult. My preference is the gochujang, but you can't always get that..
- Add your cooked beef back in, stir to mix well. Bring up to a simmer..
- Cook your noodles to al-dente, our just under done, not soft. I prefer a whole grain noodle, and something like spaghetti or linguini sized.
- Cook your beef mixture until it is the thickness you desire. I like a gravy/sauce thickness myself..
- Drain your noodles when done, add a little butter or oil so they don't stick together.
- Add the noodles to individual bowls, add the beef mixture on top, garnish and serve.
Make spicy Szechuan dan dan noodles in a few easy steps. The classic Chinese recipe has many variations, but all include sesame paste and chili oil. The classic recipe includes fresh noodles and a meat topping made with ground pork or beef and (usually) Szechuan preserved vegetables. This super easy version of dan dan noodles is fast, flavorful, and vegetarian to boot. To be honest, this technically isn't dan dan mian/dan dan noodles but it technically is too.