Fish Pie. Fish pie, also known as fisherman's pie, is a traditional British dish. The pie is usually made with white, often smoked, fish (for example cod, haddock or halibut). A simple fish pie recipe that's quick and easy to prepare.
A simple fish pie that's quick to prepare and super tasty too. Portion it into ramekins for quick toddler meals you can pull out of the freezer. See recipes for The Best Fish Pie Filling Recipe, Leeky Fish Pie too. You can cook Fish Pie using 9 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Fish Pie
- You need 600-700 g of mixed fish. I usually use 200g salmon fillet, 200g smoked haddock and 300g cod loin. (Give or take!) Alternatively, just buy a couple of packets of mixed fish at the supermarket.
- Prepare 150 g of king prawns.
- You need 1 carton of cheese sauce (ideally c.350g but carton volumes vary).
- Prepare 2 of eggs.
- You need 650 g of potatoes. More potatoes can be used if the casserole is big enough and if a deeper topping is wanted.
- Prepare of Butter and milk (for mashing).
- You need A few of capers (optional).
- Prepare of Sea salt and pepper.
- You need 2-4 of cherry or similar tomatoes (optional garnish), sliced.
Fish expert Mitch Tonks' fish pie recipe has bags of flavour from the smoked haddock, prawns and cod. A Fish Pie fit for a king! Flakes of fish smothered in a creamy sauce, topped with mashed potato and a crunchy golden top. Use both smoked and unsmoked fish for best results – and it's economical!
Fish Pie instructions
- Hard-boil the eggs, cool and peel. Cut each egg in half, lengthways..
- Simultaneously poach the fish in a large, shallow pan. I usually just bring to the boil and after 1 minute turn off the heat and leave on our electric hob to cool for 5 minutes. A gas hob might require a bit longer simmering..
- Drain the fish and lay into a casserole dish, removing any skins and bones as you do so. Try to mix the varieties up a bit so that each portion will have some of everything..
- Wipe the prawns on some kitchen paper and add to the casserole, plus the optional capers if desired..
- Add the cheese sauce and gently but thoroughly mix..
- Gently push the halved, hard-boiled eggs yolk-down into the mixture, spaced so that each portion contains a half-egg..
- Boil the potatoes and mash them with a generous amount of butter and a little milk. The mash needs to be firmish, definitely not sloppy, but capable of spreading..
- Using a dessert spoon or similar, gently top the casserole mixture with the mashed potato and spread the mash out with the back of the spoon to ensure a thorough and even coverage..
- Draw the tines of a dinner fork “backwards” to create a light ridging effect. This step will help to get some crispy highlights in the end-product but can be omitted..
- Add the garnish of sliced tomatoes if wished. Indeed, add any garnish that you’d like!.
- Place the casserole on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes at Gas Mark 5 or the equivalent on an electric oven – my Neff Circotherm setting is 160C..
- Serve piping hot with vegetables of your choice. Frozen peas are a quick and easy choice. I like broccoli and carrots with this dish..
See more ideas about fish pie, fish recipes, fish dishes. A simple fish pie recipe that's quick and easy to prepare. Portion into ramekins and freeze for quick toddler meals or cook in a big dish for the. Most fish pie recipes require pre-cooked fish, but a nicer way is to bake it from raw and invest in a bottle of Noilly Prat – Read the full recipe here. Find stacks of fish pie recipes for a family friendly, comforting meal.