Teeney's American Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a It's pure comfort food. What follows is a simple recipe for a ground beef version of Shepherd's Pie.
I would not have posted unless I tried it and found it delicious and different from the other sheperd pie recipes on this site. Will be a regular during the chili months in buffalo!.with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to. You can cook Teeney's American Shepherd's Pie using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Teeney's American Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 4 large of Potatoes.
- You need 1 of Onion (chopped fine).
- It’s 2 cup of Sweet Corn.
- You need 2 large of Carrots (peeled and chopped).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Minced Garlic.
- Prepare 2 lb of Ground Beef.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Worcestershire Sauce.
- It’s 2 can of Green Beans.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Beef Broth (possibly bullion instead for a more salty alternative).
- Prepare 4 tbsp of Butter.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Half-and-Half or Milk.
- It’s 2 cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese.
- You need 1 of as needed Salt and Pepper.
- You need 1 of Cumin, Rosemary and Thyme (optional).
American Shepherd's Pie, known elsewhere as Cottage Pie, is a casserole containing ground beef, vegetables such as carrots, peas and corn, and topped with a layer of mashed potatoes. It's a great way to use up both leftover vegetables and mashed potatoes. This cottage pie is an American variation of traditional shepherd's pie that is sure to please any meat and potatoes fan. The ground beef has a natural rich mushroom gravy and the potatoes are loaded with cheese.
Teeney's American Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Preheat oven to 400°F..
- Start the mashed potatoes: Peel and cut potatoes (1/2 inch or quartered). Place in pan and cover with cold water (1/2 in over potatoes). Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. [start step 3 then return to potatoes] ((Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 15-20 mins.)).
- In a large sauté pan with oil, sauté onions and carrots, then garlic. Add ground beef and cook through until brown..
- Continue filling: Sprinkle meat with flour and toss to coat. Add salt/pepper and cumin (optional), add Worcestershire Sauce, Beef Broth, and Rosemary/ Thyme (optional). Brind to boil, cover and simmer low and covered until sauce is thick (10-15 mins)..
- Mash Potatoes: Add half-and-half or milk, butter, and salt/pepper to drained potatoes. Mash until smooth..
- Continue filling: Add corn and green beans (peas optional) for just a few mins to heat..
- Combine in lightly greased 3 qt casserole dish: Beef filling on bottom. Sprinkle layer of cheese on top. Top with mashed potatoes. (Make sure the potatoes seal the beef filling in so it doesn't boil and create a mess.) Use a fork to make rivets on the top of the mashed potatoes. Add small amount of paprika on top..
- Bake dish for 25-30 minutes in oven at 400°F. Let cool (about 15 mins)..
For more authentic shepherd's pie, use ground lamb instead of beef. Is Shepherd's Pie The Ultimate In Comfort Food? Shepherd's pie is comforting, satisfying and most of all tastes great! My easy shepherd's pie recipe Wow, your English 'Shepherds Pie' is completely different from the American version (which is probably more accurately 'Cottage Pie' since it's made. Home > Recipes > Casseroles > Shepherds Pie (My American, Cheap Version).