Beef Shepherds Pie. Add the onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, half the salt, and oregano. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. A rich, well-seasoned, nicely browned shepherd's pie is one of the world's great comfort food dishes.
In the States, it's more common to use ground beef. Beef Shepherds Pie is also freezer friendly. Old-Fashioned Cottage Pie is made with ground beef, savory gravy, mashed potatoes, and vegetables. You can have Beef Shepherds Pie using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef Shepherds Pie
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 medium of onion.
- You need 3 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 3 medium of carrots, peeled & sliced.
- It’s 1 medium of onion, diced.
- It’s 1 each of celery, sliced.
- It’s 1/2 lb of cremini mushrooms, quartered.
- It’s 2 clove of garlic, minced.
- You need 3/4 tsp of dried oregano.
- You need 3 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 1 lb of ground beef.
- It’s 1/4 cup of low sodium beef broth.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1 of freshly ground black pepper.
- You need 4 cup of mashed potatoes.
- You need 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese.
- Prepare 1 tsp of kosher salt.
It's an economical meal that is also freezer-friendly. This comfort food is filling and affordable to create. Top beef mixture with potatoes, spreading evenly; sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name).
Beef Shepherds Pie instructions
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat..
- Add onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, half the salt and oregano. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes..
- Stir in tomato paste and cook until paste has turned brick red, about 8 minutes more..
- Stir in ground beef, beef broth, remaining salt, worcestershire sauce and pepper. Break up any large clumps of meat and cook until meat is no longer pink..
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a 2 quart casserole dish and spread the mashed potatoes over the top, leaving a 1/4 boarder around the edge. Sprinkle parmesan cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon of butter..
- Bake until potatoes brown and juices are bubbling around the edge for about 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving..
However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb. In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a "cottage pie" and the lamb dish "shepherd's pie". Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. An easy ground beef-based shepherd's pie with veggies in homemade gravy, topped with Cheddar cheese mashed potatoes. "For something a little different, add cooked barley to the meat mixture," suggests Jacquie. Ground Beef Shepherd's Pie This hearty supper-in-one sent by Elaine Williams is ideal for small families.