Pot Roast. Pot roasts typically use the tougher cuts of beef—a chuck roast or shoulder roast—which have the most flavor. For pot roasts, and other slow cooked tough meats, fat is your friend! Pot roast is a beef dish made by slow-cooking a usually tough cut of beef in moist heat, sometimes with vegetables.
It's mouthwateringly good, yet simple to make, especially if you use a slow cooker. To most people, "pot roast" means slow-cooked beef with carrots, potatoes, or other vegetables added partway through cooking. The term actually refers either to the cooking method or the dish. You can have Pot Roast using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Pot Roast
- You need 3-4 lb of boneless chuck roast, trimmed.
- You need 2 of large yellow onions; large dice.
- Prepare 3 stalks of celery; large dice.
- It’s 3 of carrots; about 1/4" inch thick.
- It’s 2 of large Idaho potatoes; peeled & large dice.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic; creamed.
- Prepare 4 C of beef stock.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 1 T of tomato paste.
- You need 2 T of fresh rosemary; minced.
- You need 2 t of fresh thyme; minced.
- You need 1/4 C of worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare as needed of kosher salt & black pepper.
- It’s as needed of vegetable oil.
- Prepare as needed of fresh parsley; minced.
Classic Sunday Pot Roast is an easy to make comfort food that is hearty, filling, and can easily feed the whole family. This recipe will work for a classic. A pot roast is a delicious, hearty, and relatively inexpensive meal that is a staple for many families. The slow-cooking method is part of what makes this dish so delicious.
Pot Roast instructions
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Season roast with half the thyme and rosemary, salt, and pepper..
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven. Sear roast on all sides and remove to a plate..
- Add onions, carrots, and the remaining rosemary and thyme. Cook until onions begin to caramelize. Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds..
- Add tomato paste. Cook 1 minute..
- Add worcestershire sauce. Scrape up any brown bits remaining on the bottom of the pot. Cook until nearly dry..
- Return roast to pot. Add broth and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer. Cover..
- Transfer to oven. Cook for 3-4 hours or until roast is tender..
- Garnish with parsley..
- Variations; Cola, roasted garlic, bouqet garni, canola oil, bacon fat, crushed pepper flakes, red potatoes, fingerlings, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, parsnip, butternut squash, acorn squash, scallions, chives, leeks, red wine, beer, root beer, oregano, zucchini, green beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, paprika, shallots, pearl onion, asparagus, fennel, dried onion soup mix, chile puree, mushrooms.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast is the ultimate comfort food! It's a super hearty, deliciously flavorful meal in one that's sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. Pot roast was a one-pot wonder long before that was a term for homey dishes that are both inexpensive and require little hands-on cooking. This dish has long been the Sunday night dinner that. Chuck roast is the key to this pot roast recipe.