Shepherd's Pie. Shepherd's Pie comes to us from England, and is traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Here in the states we are more of a beef eating culture than a lamb eating one, and when one is served..with the kind of refrigeration we had in our homes, cooked meat could be kept much more safely than raw. Therefore, when housewives bought their Sunday meat they selected pieces large enough to.
Savour a spoonful of goodness everytime. Shepherd's pie – perfect comfort food for cold winter days. Follw this recipe to learn how to make perfect shepherd's pie. You can have Shepherd's Pie using 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- Prepare of russet potatoes, peeled and cubed.
- Prepare of half & half.
- You need of butter.
- Prepare of kosher salt.
- You need of cracked pepper.
- You need of egg yolk.
- Prepare of canola oil.
- Prepare of small onion, diced (about one cup).
- It’s of carrots, peeled, diced (1 cup).
- You need of large cloves garlic, minced.
- You need of ground lamb (traditional) or ground beef.
- You need of kosher salt.
- It’s of cracked pepper.
- Prepare of flour.
- You need of tomato paste.
- It’s of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare of beef broth.
- It’s of ea. Chopped fresh rosemary and thyme leaves.
- It’s of Kernels cut from 2 ears corn (1 cup).
- Prepare of frozen peas.
The Best Classic Shepherd's Pie Recipe with meat and vegetable gravy and cheesy mashed potatoes. This family friendly shepherd's pie uses ground beef (instead of the traditional lamb), and your Instant Pot® or multi-cooker pressure cooker to prepare the filling and potatoes. Shepherd's pie is a classic comfort food recipe that's healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce.
Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 10 to 15 minutes..
- Place the half-and-half and butter into a microwave-safe container and heat in the microwave until warmed through, about 35 seconds. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then return to the saucepan. Mash the potatoes and then add the half and half, butter, salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the yolk until well combined. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F..
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the canola oil into a 12-inch saute pan and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir to combine. Add the lamb, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute..
- Add the tomato paste, beef broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly. Add the corn and peas to the lamb mixture and spread evenly into an 11 by 7-inch glass baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula..
- Place on a cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving..
Shepherd's Pie is the sort of food that brings a smile to everyone's face! That saucy, deeply flavourful filling, that creamy potato topping, and that awesome golden cheese crust.… While Shepherd's Pie is. This easy Shepherd's Pie recipe is filled with lots of veggies and tender ground beef (or lamb), simmered together in the most delicious sauce, and topped with the creamiest mashed potatoes. Patty's Day celebrations, shepherd's pie is full of distinctly Irish ingredients. Traditional Shepherds Pie Recipe and Video Tutoral. this shepherds pie is AMAZING – the meat mixture is full of flavor and the mashed potatoes are creamy and cheesy – recipe AND video tutorial.